About National Institute of Technology - NIT Calicut
National Institute of Technology, Calicut is a Technical Institution of national importance set up by an Act of parliament (Act 29 of 2007) namely, the National Institute of Technology Act 2007, which received the assent of the President of India on 5th June, 2007. The provision of the Act have come into force with effect from 15th August, 2007 as per Notification S.O.1384(E) dated 9th August, 2007 of the MHRD(Dept. of Higher Education), New Delhi. As per the provision of the said Act, this Institution runs on non profitable basis. NITC was set up in September, 1961 as Regional Engineering College, Calicut (CREC) as the ninth of its kind and the first one to be established during the Third Five Year Plan period. Till the formation of the Calicut University in 1963 the institute was affiliated with the Kerala University. It was largely due to the efforts of Pattom Thanu Pillai, the Chief Minister of Kerala that the institute came into being. The Institute became a Deemed University in the year 2002. NITC is one of the twenty National Institutes of Technology - one in each major state of India - established by the Government of India for fostering national integration by imparting technical education to students from all over the country. NITC offers academic programmes leading to B.Tech., B. Arch., M.Tech., MCA, M.Sc(Tech)., MBA and Ph.D. degrees in the appropriate disciplines. NITC has well-qualified faculty strength of 179 and dedicated support staff of about 228. Apart from teaching, NITC is engaged in a wide spectrum of activities covering research and development, industrial consultancy, continuing education and faculty & staff development.
Location - National Institute of Technology Calicut (NITC) is located at Kettangal in Chathamangalam which is situated about 22 km north-east of Kozhikode, north-east of Calicut City. Click here for Google Map Location.
Transportation - Calicut is well connected to other cities in India by Air, Rail and Road.
Airline Service - The Calicut Airport is located at Karipur, 27 Kms. south-east of the city. Regular flights are available to Bombay (Mumbai), Bangalore, Madras (Chennai), Goa, Madurai, and Coimbatore, and also to many destinations in the Middle-East which include Sharjah, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Bahrain, Doha, Fujairah, Ras-al-Khaimah, and Muscat. The nearby airports are Cochin, Coimbatore and Mangalore.
Railway Service - Direct trains/ coaches are available from Calicut to the major centres in India which include New Delhi, Jammu Tawi, Gorakhpur, Bombay, Calcutta, Gowhatti, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Madras, Ahmedabad, Indore, Trichy, Mangalore, Trivandrum and Varanasi. The Calicut bound trains take deviation from the main Madras-Cochin route from Palghat Junction. Calicut is road connected to Bombay via Mangalore and Goa (NH17). The connection to Kanyakumari is via Cochin and Trivandrum (NH17 and NH47). Bangalore is connected via Sultan Battery, Gundlupet and Mysore (NH 212). Madras is via Malappuram, Palghat, Coimbatore and Salem (NH 213 and NH47), and Ooty is via Nilambur and Gudalur (State Highway).
Bus and Taxi Service - The Institute is connected by pivate and KSRTC (Govt) buses. The private buses start from the Palayam busstand (near to the Railway Station), with a frequency less than 5 minutes. The KSRTC buses start from the KSRTC bus station on the Indira Gandhi Road, with a frequency of 30 minutes. The taxi charges are about Rs. 250/- and auto charges are about Rs. 175/- .
1. Advanced Manufacturing Centre
The Centre constitutes:
Micro Machining Centre.
Rapid Prototyping Centre.
Sophisticated Instruments Centre.
2. Biomechanics - It has a Computer Controlled Universal Testing Machine. Post Graduate students of Dental Colleges in different parts of the country visit the Laboratory frequently to carry out material tests. The Machine is widely used for carrying out tests on dental filling materials and the glue used in dental repair. Finite element analysis of tooth and dental appliances is also being carried out.
3. Central Computer Centre - The Centre is equipped with three IBM X-series servers, one Dell PowerEdge 6600 Quad Processor Xeon Server, six Dell PowerEdge 2600 Dual Processor Server and one Sunfire V210 Server. The Desktops and Thin clients are connected to the servers through gigabit switches and CAT6 UTP cables. The Centre is connected to the campus-networking centre with backbone of 32Mbps through a Nortel L3 switch and in turn to Internet. All students and staff in the Institute are entitled to have a login in the Centre.
4. CNC - Campus Networking Centre provides Internet and Intranet facilities to all users in the Institute. The Centre has an extensive fibre optic network over the whole campus. The present campus network basically comprise of nearly 17 KMs of Fibre Optic cable backbone with Thirty routed internal networks managed by NAT Routers. The Internet connectivity to the campus is through a 64 Mbps Leased Line connection 32 Mbps each from Reliance and BSNL. There are more than 3000 no's of computers connected to the network and at any time about 600 of them are connected to the Internet.
5. Centre for Value Education - To make an individual a good citizen,education has to be imparted not merely in a conventional way but in a manner reinforcing his or her role in the society. This is what is exactly done by the Centre.
Some Programmes and Projects:
Web Designing for CVE.
Browsable Map of Calicut.
Studies on Accident Prone Zones.
Searchable CD of Calicut.
Biogas Plant - Feasibility Study.
Awareness on Pain and Palliative Care.
6. Sophisticated Instruments Centre -The Sophisticated Instrument Centre uses state-of-the art technology in measurements and meteorology and has facilities for carrying out the measurements of industrial products. The Centre has CNC Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM), CNC surface roughness tester and measuring software's have been imported from Japan. This Centre also offers various training, testing and consultancy services to industries and academic institutions.
7. Centre For Continuing Education - The Centre provides various Short Term Courses.
Some of these are:
Continuing Education Programme for Working Professionals.
Short Term Training Programmes (Summer / Winter Schools).
Short Term Training Programmes Sponsored by AICTE.
Short Term Training Courses in Advanced Manufacturing.
1. School of Biotechnology
Some of the Facilities:
Trinocular microscope with phase contrast objectives.
Gel documentation unit.
Water purification units.
Deep freezers (-20oC and -80oC).
2. School of Management Studies - The School runs a full time MBA programme is designed in keeping with international standards.
3. School of Nano Science and Technology - The School provides higher degree programs at the Master's and Doctorate levels in various academic streams related to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
Computer Science & Engineering.
Electronics & Communication Engineering.
Hostels - The University has Twelve Hostels including Two PG Hostels and Three Ladies' Hostels. The boys' hostels are situated close to the academic area, while Ladies' Hostels are within the Residential Campus. Total number of inmates of NITC Hostels is nearly 2906. Apart from the Mess in every Hostel, a Mini Canteen is also available in the Hostel Premises. STD/ISD facilities are available in almost all Hostels. Students are permitted to use their own computers in their rooms. Facilities for recreation are also provided in all the Hostels.
Central Library - Central Library at National Institute of Technology Calicut, offers its services to about 8000 users comprising Undergraduate, Post Graduate Students and Research Scholars of different branches of Engineering and Faculty and Staff from various departments of the institute and Neighbouring Institutions. The Library has a good collection of back volume collections, digital resources, electronic databases etc. It has a collection of 1,21,001 books. It has subscribed to a number of Journals, Magazines, Newspaper etc. The Library uses Automation Software for its operations; with a fully bar-coded collection and offers OPAC service throughout the Campus LAN.
NALANDA - Network for Automated Library and Archives is the Digital Library of the Institute. It offers eBooks in Fiction, Arts, Science & Engineering from Nalanda eText Conversion Project.It also provides Campus-wide Access to 'Academic Science and Technology Plus Online Database Access from Proquest' through INDEST Consortium, Campus-wide Access to 'ASM Handbook on CD (20 Volumes) and Academic Press Encyclopedia of Physical Science and Technology' through Dynatext Interface etc. For more info - http://www.nalanda.nitc.ac.in/.
Financial Assistance - A few research fellowships are available to full time research scholars who are not receiving any financial support/ scholarship from other Agencies or State or Central Governments. They are required to assist the Department in the academic work for at least 8 hours per week as per guidelines issued by the Ministry of Human Resources and Development, Govt. of India, in addition to satisfying other conditions for the award /renewal of the fellowship.
The present rates of Fellowships are as follows:
Ph.D. in Engineering - I & II Years = Rs 14,000/p.m. III & IV Year = Rs. 15,000/p.m.
Ph.D. in Sciences & Management Studies - I & II Years = Rs 12,000/ p.m. III & IV Year = Rs. 14,000/p.m.
This facility will not be available to UGC/CSIR/NBHM/NET/JEST Fellowship holders. However, those who are awarded UGC/CSIR/NET/NBHM/ JEST can enjoy the Doctoral Fellowships once admitted to the Ph.D. programme.
Sponsored Seats - Sponsored candidates should have a minimum experience of two years at the time of applying for the programme and must be sponsored by their employers. Candidates from Central/State Govt. Institutions, Public Sector Organizations and reputed Private Organizations will be considered in this category. In the case of teachers sponsored by Engineering Colleges and Polytechnics, the Institution should be recognized by AICTE. The sponsored candidates should have a minimum of 60% marks in the qualifying examination. The employer while sponsoring will have to give an undertaking that the candidate will be paid full salary during the entire period of the M.Tech. Programme and that the candidate will not be withdrawn midway. The sponsored candidates are not eligible for campus interview conducted by Placement Cell.
Language Laboratory - The Laboratory can accommodate Forty Learners. It provides facilities like Audio cassettes, video cassettes, CD's from organisations like BBC World English, CIEFL Hyderabad, Linguphone London. Learners can participate by listening to the master tape and interact with the instructor. It also provides various exercises for all levels of learners.
TBI - The National Institute of Technology Calicut has set up a Technology Business Incubator, TBI-NITC which facilitates economic development by improving survival and growth of new entrepreneurial units. Incubators accelerate the development of young entrepreneurial company from ideas stage to independent self-sustaining successful business. For more info - http://www.tbi.nitc.ac.in/
Medical Care - Medical Care is offered by the Institute at its own Health Centre having 10 beds. There are two Medical Officers- a Lady Medical Officer, a Resident Medical Officer-and qualified nursing staff to look after the health needs of the campus residents. Consultation Timing: - RMO: 900 am to 12.30 noon & 4.00 pm to 5.30 pm LMO: 10 am to 3.00 pm. Phone - 0495 - 2286652.
Sports - NITC has a well-equipped Gymnasium, a Swimming Pool, an Open Air Theatre (OAT), an Auditorium and facilities for outdoor sports like Tennis, Football, Volleyball, Badminton, Roller Blading, Hockey and Basketball. It also has a Cricket Ground where Ranji Trophy matches have been played
Guest House - The institute has a Guest House, which is primarily meant for the guests of the Institute. A/C and Non A/C rooms are available for the guests of the Institute, including Alumni and Parents of the students. A full-fledged Conference Room forms a part of the Guest House.
Extra Curricular Activities
Some of these are:
1. Tathva - Tathva is the Annual Techno-Management Festival which is held during the month of September and lasts for four days. It hosts various lectures, seminars, workshops, competitions, paper presentations, exhibitions, quizzes, model displays and robotics events.
2. Ragam - Ragam is the Cultural Festival of NITC. Colleges and Universities all over Kerala and outside the state compete with each other in events as wide ranging as trivia quizzes and dance competitions to be crowned champions of the festival. Ragam has seen rock shows and music concerts by major Indian performers in previous editions. Ragam is held in the memory of the former student P. Rajan. He died after being held (ostensibly for being a Naxalite) in police custody.
3. Student Organizations - There are various Student Organisations which provide a non-academic environment where in one can show his/her talents.
Some of these are:
Indian Cultural Association.
National Service Scheme.
Training & Placement Cell - The Cell follows a particular Procedure for Training and Placements.
Training and Placement Procedure:
Invitations are sent to corporate firms and R&D organizations along with the Job Notification Form (JNF).
Corporate firms and R&D organizations may fill up the Job Notification Form (available in the website) and e mail / post to Professor, Training and Placement.
The JNF is made available to the students and the Department of Training and Placement propose a date for the PPT and the selection process.
Firms / organizations are expected to visit the campus on the date allotted to them and conducts the PPT. Interested students attends the PPT and resumes are made available to firms.
After that the firms conduct the selection process in the campus.
The firms visiting the campus are required to furnish the final list of students selected to the Professor, Training and Placement after the completion of the selection process. We register a job against the selected students and they may or may not be allowed to appear for other firms interviews as per placement policy.
Alumni Association - The Association enables ex students to keep in touch with old friends, lost loves, business contacts, and friends. Member benefits include the ability to e-mail groups and individuals. Know more - http://www.dss.nitc.ac.in/alumni/welcome.htm.
NIT Calicut is one among the top 20 Engineering Colleges / Schools in India and the Best Engineering College in Kerala ( as per 2009 rankings of Dataquest / India Today / Times of India / Live Mint / Hindustan Times / Competition Success/Outlook).
In the Dataquest IDC-NASSCOM India T-School Rankings, NIT Calicut was ranked 9th in 2008. It was ranked 14th overall in India in 2006 and 15th in 2007.
In the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities (as of July 2009), NIT Calicut is ranked 16th in India. It was ranked 10th in January 2008.
NITC is among the very few institutions in the country to have a Supercomputer of its own. The Supercomputer PURNA (Parallel Universal Remote Numerical Analyser) which is accessible from anywhere in the campus and is provided for the use of all students and faculty members. PURNA has a peak speed of 1.5 Tera FLOPS.