Madhya Pradesh Board of Secondary Education is the statutory body of the Government of Madhya Pradesh. It came into existence by the Madhya Pradesh Secondary Education Act (The Madhya Pradesh Madhyamik Shiksha Adhiniyam),1965 which was also the Sixteenth Year of the Republic of India. It started its functioning from the year 1959. The board holds the authority to conducts the High school and the secondary school exams along with other Exams in Madhya Pradesh through affiliated Schools.
It conducts the following examinations across the state
HSC - High School Certificate i.e the class 10th
HSSC - Higher Secondary School Certificate i.e class 12th
Diploma in Education
Objectives / Mission / Powers / Functions Of The Board
To prescribe courses of instruction in such branches of Secondary Education as it may think fit
1. To make regulations for imposing penalties on Candidates using unfair means in the examinations conducted by the Board
2. To conduct examinations based on such courses and take all steps ancillary thereto
3. To admit to its examinations, on conditions that may be prescribed, candidates who have pursued the prescribed courses of instruction in institutions recognised by the Board or privately
4. To publish the results of its examinations
5. To grant diplomas or certificates to persons who have passed the examinations of the Board
6. To recognize institutions situated in Madhya Pradesh for the purposes of admitting them to the privileges of the Board.
7. To prescribe condition for recognition of schools or institutions including conditions of service of teachers, their qualifications, equipments, their qualifications, equipment, building and other educational facilities
8. To withdraw recognition from the institution, where the Board is satisfied after enquiry that its privileges are abused by it or that the conditions imposed by the Board for the recognition of such institution are not complied with: Provided that de-recognition shall not ordinarily be made effective in the midst of an academic session: Provided further that if any de-recognition is made effective in the midst of an academic session, the students of the school so de-recognised who would have been admitted in the Board’s Examinations shall be allowed to appear privately.
9. To call for reports from the Commissioner of public Instruction on the condition of recognised institution applying for recognition or to direct inspection of such institutions
10. To adopt measures to promote physical, moral and social welfare of students in recognised institutions and to prescribe conditions of their residence and discipline
11. To organize and provide lectures, demonstrations educational exhibitions and to take such other measures as are necessary to promote the standard of secondary education
12. To institute and award scholarships, medals and prizes under conditions that may be prescribed
13. To demand and receive such fees as may be prescribed including fees for registration of teachers and Managing Committees applying for registration as such
14. To admit to its examination candidates who have pursued correspondence course conducted by the Board.
15. To advise the state Government as to the courses of instruction and syllabi of middle school education with a view to secure coordination between middle school and secondary education
16. To organize conference, seminars symposiums to promote the standard of secondary education
17. To organize workshops and training programmes for paper setters
18. To take necessary steps with regard to modernizing of school curriculum, strengthening of science and mathematics education, work experience and vocationalisation by making investigation and researches into the latest evaluation processes or other experiments
19. To take all necessary steps to make. examinations more valid, reliable, comprehensive and elaborate
20. To arrange for comprehensive evaluation of students through cumulative records and internal assessment records.
It consists of a Chairman at the top and the following members
Ex-officio Members - These include Commissioners, The Directors etc.
Members nominated by the State Government - These include Principal/ Head Masters, Teachers etc.