The Central University of Orissa has been established by the Parliament under the Central Universities Act, 2009 (No. 3C of 2009). Also referred as ‘Orissa Central University’, it is one of the 15 new Central Universities established by the Government of India during the (UGC) XI Plan period to address the concerns of 'equity and access' and as per the policy of the Government of India to increase the access to quality higher education by people in less educationally developed districts which have a Graduate Enrollment Ratio of less than the national average of 11%. Koraput District of Orissa comes within the KBK region (Koraput, Bolangir and Kalahandi) which is still considered as an extremely as underdeveloped region of the State of Orissa These three districts of the State are known for tribal culture, because majority of the people here belong to ST and SC categories. Since there is no University or any other national level educational set up in this region the Central University is proposed to be established here so that it may widen the access to quality higher education in the country.
School of Social Sciences
1. Centre for Sociology, Anthropology & Tribal Studies 2. Centre for Social Work 3. Centre for Philosophical Studies 4. Centre for Women’s’ Studies
School of Languages
1. Centre for Oriya, Hindi and Oriental Languages. 2. Centre for English and Foreign Languages. 3. Centre for Translation Studies
School of Basic Sciences & Information Sciences
1. Centre for Mathematics, Statistics & Computer Sciences. 2. Centre for Life Sciences 3. Centre for Physical Sciences 4. Centre for Mineralogy, Metallurgy & Material Sciences
School of Development Studies
1. Centre for Economics 2. Centre for Peace & Sustainable Development.
School of Education & Education Technology
1. Centre for Education Technology 2. Centre for Teacher Education 3. Centre for Journalism & Mass Communication
School of Health Sciences
1. Centre for Nursing & Allied Health Sciences 2. Centre for Public & Community Health
School of Biodiversity & Conservation of Natural Resources
1. Centre for Biodiversity & Conservation of Natural Resources 2. Centre for Marine Biotechnology & Aqua Culture 3. Centre for Ocean Studies
School of Legal Studies.
1. Centre for Legal Studies 2. Centre for Intellectual Property Rights 3. Centre for Human Rights
School of Management Studies
1. Centre for Business Management 2. Centre for Trade & Commerce
Location - The proposed site is located in village Chikapar and Chakarliput coming under Sunabeda NAC (Urban area). It is very close to Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Sunabeda.
Transportation - A road constructed over the acquired land of Indian Navy for the purposes of Naval Armament Depot joins the proposed site from N.H. 43 at the point of Sunabeda Junction-1 (about 6 Km.).
Damanjodi railway station is at distance of 15 Kms.
Koraput railway station is at a distance of 25 Kms.
Hostel - University Boys’ Hostel No. 1st is located in the 1st Floor of the PMG Hostel, Govt of Orissa. In addition to this Hostel, there are two more Hostels e.g. Boys’ Hostel No. II is located in Semeliguda (about 8 kms away from our present Campus) Girls’ Hostel is located near Dumuriput Railway Station (about 5 kms away from the present Campus).
Library – The Library has a collection of 9,000 volumes of textbooks and reference books. The library has a number of news papers and magazines for the reading room. The reference section and reading room has become operational. Very soon 15 computers with internet connectivity would be provided in the library.
Computer Centre - The Central University of Orissa has made arrangements for net connectivity through BSNL broad-band services. About 30 terminals/portals are put into service of the residents and teachers. The University also has a computer lab.
University MoUs - University has signed the MoU with the British Council to hone the communicative skill of the students in English language. The subject experts from the British Council are holding classes on regular interval round the year in Koraput Campus. The university has signed MoU with Jamia Hamdard for Collaborative Programmes in Nursing and Community Health under the School of Health Sciences.
Reservation of Seats:
27% seats are reserved for OBC candidates ( non creamy layer).
15% and 7.5% of seats are reserved for SC/ST candidates respectively in all programmes of study.
3% seats are reserved for Physically Challenged ( Handicapped) candidates ( with a minimum 40% disability).
All SC/ST and Physically Challenged (Handicapped) candidates who have passed and / or are appearing in the qualifying examination are eligible to appear in the entrance examination irrespective of their percentage of marks.
Guest House - Six rooms in the first floor at DNK Guest House are being refurbished to function as the Guest House at CUO at Koraput.