Christ University was born out of the educational vision of Blessed Kuriakose Elias Chavara, the founder of Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI) congregation. Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI) is the first indigenous religious congregation of India with a membership of around 3000. It renders its service to humanity in educational, social, health care and other activities aiming at the integral development of the society. Chavara was a great educationalist and a social reformer of the 19th century. He could foresee the changes in the environment and make strategic moves to build a better society based on fatherhood of God and brotherhood of humanity. Christ University is a minority Christian institution. The primary focus of this institution is the minority Christian students who lag behind in educational opportunities. Though it is a minority institution, Christ University is very secular in outlook. Students of all castes, religions, creeds and languages are encouraged to be part of this temple of learning. Christ University was formerly Christ College (Autonomous) affiliated to Bangalore University. Established in July 1969, Christ College became the most preferred educational institution in the city of Bangalore within the first three decades. From 1990 onwards it scaled from heights to heights. It has the rare distinction to be the first institution in Karnataka to be accredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) UGC for quality education. Christ College, offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate, M.Phil and Certificate Programmes in various academic disciplines classified under the Schools of Law, Education, Sciences, Social Sciences & Languages and Commerce & Management. On 7 October 2004, UGC has conferred Autonomy to Christ College (No. F.13-1/2004). July 22, 2008 is the most glorious day in the history of the institution. Under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956, Ministry of Human Resources Development of the Union Government of India, vide Notification No. F. 9-34/2007-U.3(A), has declared it a Deemed to be University, in the name and style of Christ University. The University runs graduate and post-graduate programmes in various disciplines such as sociology, psychology, social work, philosophy, physics, economics, education, law, management, computer science, mass communication, computer applications, electronics, tourism and hotel management.
You may take BIAS-7 of Vayu Vajra Volvo Bus Service from the Airport to Koramangala and get down at Christ University.
The travel time will be 1.30 Hrs approximately.
You may also take BIAS-5 of Vayu Vajra Volvo Bus Service from the Airport to get down at Shanti Nagar Bus Station.
You may then take a taxi/autorickshaw/bus to reach Christ University which is 3 kms away.
The travel time will be 1.30 Hrs approximately.
A/C Shuttle Services from Airport will depart every 30 minutes.
For Taxi Services, Call 080-4422 4422 or send a SMS to 57575 to book a Meru cab or Call 080-4343 4343 to book an Easy Cab.
Departments / Faculty
Deanery of Social Sciences and Languages.
Deanery of Sciences.
Deanery of Commerce and Management.
School of Law.
School of Education.
College of Engineering.
Hostel - Christ University currently offers accommodation for female students within the university campus in "Jonas Hall" and for a few selected male students outside its campus in two hostels. Please note that the seats are limited and given on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Library - It has a wide range of academic resources such as books, periodicals, online periodicals, databases, back volumes, CDs/DVDs, project reports, audio / video cassettes, and question bank.
Books - 104,535.
Periodicals - 243.
Newspapers - 17.
CDs / DVDs - 2068.
Computer Lab - All administrative works of the University are computerised. The four computer labs are equipped with the latest Intel microprocessor based computers. The lab has 130 Pentium IV based nodes each with 512 MB RAM, 40 GB local hard disk, SVGA colour monitors connected to three Windows 2000 Servers (Pentium-IV, 512 MB RAM, 40GB HDD) and two LINUX Server. Laser Printers, Inkjet Printers, Digitizer, LP 735 Data Projector, Scanner, Dot Matrix Printers and other peripherals connected to the network.
Laptop Lab - Among other firsts, Christ University has this facility where students with Laptop computers can plug in and use the internet. This lab has a seating capacity of 60 students
Internet Lab - To integrate Information System Technology into the present curriculum, the University is one of the first educational institutions to boast its internet connectivity through 1024 KBS Primus and Cisco Router with 1MBPS Internet leased line connecting its students to the world and beyond. The faculty and the students are encouraged and allowed to surf the net free of cost. Now, the University has a bandwidth of 6mbps. The Internet Lab is remodelled with 40 thin clients. All the departments are connected through the internet making way for easier access to information.
Prayer Hall - In our ardent desire towards holistic development of individuals, the university provides a serene and calm atmosphere to those who wish to spend some time in silence, reflection and prayer. The prayer hall, which is in the second floor, new block, is elegantly designed and wears a heavenly look to raise the mind and heart of a person.
Financial Aid and Scholarships
1. Award for Excellence - The award for excellence is instituted to recognise students who excel in academics and are toppers in their respective combinations. The award will be presented to students from all three years and combinations and for all PG Courses. 2. Award for proficiency - The award for proficiency is in recognition of students who are diligent in their academics and holistic education. This is a nominative award based on the recommendation of the heads of the departments. The decision of the office is final.
3. Award for Co-curricular Activities - The award is instituted for all final year students who have actively participated in sports/cultural and club activities during the course of their studies. This is a nominative award based on the recommendation of the concerned teacher in charge. The selection list will be displayed in the month of March.
1. Merit Scholarship - The merit scholarship is initiated for meritorious students based on their performance at the pre-entry level and subsequent performance in various tests and examinations. The student will be awarded a merit scholarship in September each year. In the first year, the scholarship will be decided on the merit of the pre-entry marks, mid-semester test and attendance in regular classes. Merit scholarships for the consecutive years will be decided based on his/her performance in one end-semester and two mid-semester examinations of each year. The scholarship will consist of a percentage refund of fees. Each combination will be considered for two merit scholarships. Combinations with more than one section will be considered proportionately.
The fee refund / reduction will be considered as follows:
Students in the fee range of
Upto to Rs. 10,000 - 50%.
Rs. 10,000-Rs 25,000 - 25%.
Above Rs. 25,000 - 10%.
2. Scholarship for Financial Assistance - Students choosing to avail of this scholarship must apply to the Office of Awards and Scholarships with supporting documents. A student who enrols in the first year degree or P.G. course who is economically weak but diligent, especially from rural areas is eligible to apply. He/she should furnish enough evidence of his/her eligibility enclosing community/ income certificate from an official not below the ranks of a revenue inspector. Applications will be scrutinised, and a final interview with or without a parent/guardian by the scholarship committee will decide his/her eligibility. Students seeking this scholarship at the time of admission are expected to fill up a separate application for scholarship available along with their main application form and submit to the Office of Scholarships for perusal. The scholarship committee will then interview them on the allotted dates, and their concessions will be decided prior to the payment of their fees.
The percentage of concession for different categories is recommended as follows:
Self financing courses - 0-50%.
A bond to the effect that the student will refund the scholarship amount if he or she leaves the university in between is to be executed. For subsequent years, application forms must be availed from the Office of Awards and Scholarships from November 30th to 22nd December and submitted to the Office by the 20th of January for scrutiny.
3. Alumni Association Scholarships - Alumni Association of Christ University also helps economically weak students through the Alumni Fund. Students seeking support can approach the Alumni Office, BHM Department, II Block, II Floor.
Instalment Facility - Students unable to pay their fees in one instalment can avail this facility by filling a prescribed application form available in the Office of Admissions. Such applications can be processed through the office of scholarships on specified dates. This facility needs to be applicable only in cases where the total fee is above Rs.10000/-. The students must pay the instalments on the days prescribed by the office in one or two instalments. Instalments for PG courses will be monitored by the departments.
Sports and Games - The sports and games facilities at the campus make the students attain physical growth and sportsman spirit. The University has separate courts for major games like basketball, football, volley ball and hockey. Intra-college and inter-college matches and sports day give the students ample opportunity to develop their talents and skills. Canteen and Kiosk - The University provides a healthy environment in the cafeteria and makes sure that quality food is served at reasonable price. The kiosk helps the students refresh themselves with snacks in order to keep them always alive and active.
Health Club - Christ University recently opened a Multi Gym and Fitness Centre for both students and faculty. A well stocked gym consists of the following equipments - Multi Gym, Manual Walker, Excer-Cycle and Weights. The gym also has an instructor who is an aerobic and martial art expert.
Counselling Centre - Proof of the fact that the University really cares for its students is the presence of a much visited Counselling Centre. Highly qualified and caring counsellors speak to and advise students regularly on issues ranging from those concerned with education to those relating to the heart. Centre for Career Guidance and Placements - The Centre helps students in career planning through career counselling where in they gather information about themselves in terms of their interests, aptitudes and abilities so that they can choose their careers more effectively. The centre allows individuals to explore the world of employment and helps them to move from a general occupation direction to a specific one. The centre also focuses on developing their skills by providing training on resume building, group discussion and how to face interviews, which helps them to move into an occupation and or apply to post graduate and professional schools.
Associations & Activities
The following are the Associations/Clubs:
Natural Science Association.
Physical Science Association.
Social Science Association.
Music and Dance Club.
Speech and Debate Club.
Media Studies Association.
Association for Women's Studies.
Green Army - The Environment Cell.
India Today ranking, June 2, 2008: Overall Ranking: 8th best college in India for pure Sciences; 6th best in India for Arts; 4th best for Commerce; Factual Ranking: 6th in pure Sciences; 3rd in Arts and 2nd in Commerce; 23rd in the overall Business School rankings.
On May 20, 2005, it became the first College in South India to be re-accredited with A+ by NAAC. UGC has identified it as an Institution with Potential for Excellence in June 2006.
The university was selected for the Best Campus Award by the Bangalore Urban Art Commission for four consecutive years, 1996 through 2000. Well-maintained gardens and buildings, air-conditioned Seminar Halls, Panel Room, Conference Hall, Assembly Hall, Auditorium, Health Club, Kiosk, Hostel Facility for girl students and all the requirements of an institute of higher learning are the unique features of the university.