The Information technology (IT) revolution has brought about a sarcastic change in India. Huge malls, Funky eating joints, Sophisticated commercial complexes, villas, etc are some of the visible and wonderful attributes of IT revolution. Now days, IT has created social problems so deep that it has completely shaken our social structure. In this way, IT revolution is creating a social imbalance now. We can say that foreign trips and the western ways of living have actually divided our society in many different folds.
People who are intelligent and self motivated are either frustrate or utilize their energy and put their all effort and time to find the new software links and appraisals. Today, if someone aspires to be an artist, musician, or a teacher then he or she has to overcome with peer and social pressure to pursue their career of interest. Because of the big money and wide range of knowledge, IT career has become as much an aspiration of the society. IT does a remarkable job by taking away the best talent available for other industries.
At present, student community and mostly the fresh graduates are obsessed with IT jobs, particularly the engineering students. Irrespective of their streams, every engineering student wants to land in an IT job. In-fact, the big salary and fast growth is the pull-factor. Every industry is unique and has its own paying capacity. Because of the IT, all other industries are suffering and are finding it difficult to attract and retain the best talent.
It is a fact, that small companies cannot afford to pay as much as IT companies pays to a fresher. Some of the big names like Infosys, Wipro, and Tata Consultancy Services [TCS]. Companies need the best talent only during the formative years. But, on the other side youth of today are obsessed with the quick money and luxurious life. Well, the big starting salaries offered at IT companies are so attractive that everyone get attract so easily and conveniantly towards it.
Well, it is observed that IT revolution has certainly killed the reading habit among the youth of today and on other side, Libraries wear a deserted look nowadays. Reading books doesn’t bring out any interest in IT students. The pressure to perform and to get the desired IT job has created a panic among the graduate students that they hardly turn their attention towards reading for pleasure and for writing.
Information Technology (IT) revolution takes places everywhere. Organizations implementing IT are able to provide better services and therefore able to improve their businesses manifold. In earlier days IT has enormously been used in manufacturing sector regarding product designing and development, product modification etc.
Importance of IT
1. IT in educational places The Government of India has come out with a statement stating that Information Technology (IT) is India's Tomorrow. Hence the educational institutions have to use IT for teaching the children so that they should be trained in this field also. Well, latest hardware and software can be used and the latest computer languages and packages have to be taught to the students. It is not enough if student of computer science alone has been taught about IT, but also the students of other disciplines have to be taught about IT.
2. IT in hospitals The hospital management is taking place with the application of IT. Starting from the reception by recording a patient's name, the IT has been used everywhere in a hospital. A patient's record comprising his name, age, sex, disease found, blood group, height, weight, blood pressure level, etc. has been maintained as database in a computer in the hospital. So whenever the patient arrives his previous record can be verified easily. For billing purposes also the computers have been used widely in hospitals.
3. IT in banking Consistent and tremendous improvement has taken place in the Indian banking sector because of the IT revolution. All the private and foreign banks have gone for 100 percent computerization. With the help of computerization, the transaction takes place at a faster rate and the waiting time of a customer in a queue is getting minimized. The banks provide the facility of internet banking, phone and mobile banking with the help of IT. All the branches of a bank are networked. The cost incurred on infrastructure, furniture and employees has got decreased because of the application of IT.
4. IT in railways Well, the application of IT has provided various benefits for the Indian Railways and its passengers. With the issue of computerized railway tickets, the errors have been minimized and misusers can be find out easily. A passenger can book the train ticket from any part of the country. A passenger can also book the train ticket at his convenient place, because system of online reservation has been introduced.
5. IT in medical shops Due to increase in competition, IT has also been applied in pharmaceutical shops. Whenever any medicine enters the shop, all the information related to the medicine like- its name, quantity, manufacturing date, expiry date, its content, price and other information can be entered into a computer system. Whenever the sales take place, computerized billing would be provided to the customers. Whenever any medicine has been sold the software created would also give indications to the manager/supervisor of a pharmaceutical shop related to the number of quantities sold, number of quantities available in the shop and the computer also warn them regarding the date of expiry.
6. IT in research Marketing Research (MR) agencies involve in lot of research activities starting from research survey on product development till distribution and measurement of customer response. Manual analysis of data is not used now days. The MR agencies use sophisticated statistical software packages for data analysis and interpretation. Some of the statistical software packages are created by their own for customized problems. Therefore, application of IT tools take place in full swing at MR agencies.
7. IT in share market It is assumed that gone are those days when stock brokers use to shout at the trading hall of a stock exchange for quoting their price. Now days with the help of computer terminal and internet connection, purchasing and selling of share takes place everywhere. A client can look at the transactions taking place through the computers. The volume of the shares traded and the turnover has got consistently improved because of the availability of online share trading.
8. IT in Ad agency Creativity and modernity is the slogan which is seek in Ad Agencies. Creativity involves doing things differently. Things can be done differently with the help of IT. The Ad Agencies use lot of software for creating advertisements. Lot of animations and graphics can be done using IT tools.
IT in different service sectors
It has been seen that at present, the reservation for film shows take place through online ticket booking. The cinema theatres in order to avoid queues and unnecessary rush follow the system of online ticket booking so that through internet anyone can book tickets at their convenient places.
In order to reduce the queue, computerization takes place in petrol pumps also.
In Regional Transport Offices, computerization ensures prompt and quick delivery of service to the peoples.
The leading libraries are also computerized these days. Application of IT tools provides various benefits for the libraries and readers. The books available in the libraries and those on circulation can easily be found.
IT also helps way for online shopping for various types of products.
It has been seen that students don’t want to waste their energy in learning and following something that is not going to give them immediate returns in their career life. IT may not be blamed here directly, but it certainly has its own share. Students and fresh graduates are desperate to equip themselves for high paying IT jobs that they shift their focus from mastering the art of communication.
The most important aspect which has been seen due to IT revolution that is the dollars which comes through the IT corridors also bring along the western cultures into our society. In this prominent way, the IT revolution has certainly broken the threads of the cultural aspects of our society and created an illusion that if someone is against western lifestyle, he is conservative, simple, non-interesting and out of fashion, whereas it is a matter of choice.
IT revolution has immensely killed the middle class aspirations of buying a property of their own. With so much money given at a very young early age, IT employees can hardly understand the value of real hard earned money. Long-time savers and those who plan to buy land or house with the post-retirement money are the worst affected. When the country witnessed IT boom simultaneously there was a real estate boom, a clear indicator of IT revolution and the impacts of big salaries.
In this manner, the benefits of technological revolution accrue to owners [in the form of higher profits], labour [through higher wages] or users [through lower prices]. The observed gain in consumer surplus depends not only on the total amount of IT spending but also on the composition of IT spending.
It has been noticed that in the recent past, IT in India has created much euphoria and no industry in India has ever received so much media attention. It is also a matter of pride that about 300 Fortune 500 companies have out-sourced their software requirements from India only. With the growing stagnation in the U.S, the prime market for India's IT exports, the industry is continously trying to diversify the xport destinations and on other hand countries like Japan and Australia are identified as new avenues.
Now days, it is truly conducted that getting certified in relevant IT technology can help and enhance your career prospects with greater remuneration, more challenging job profiles, promotions, gain more respect, and increase job security. The importance that companies attach to certification has increased so much that in some cases companies are specifically asking for certified people.
Scope of IT revolution in various fields
1. Higher Education Formal education requires careful introduction of IT related techniques to upgrade the standards of teaching and there by improving its effectiveness and efficiency. New communication and information technologies have become major resources for teaching and learning in higher education. Some of the most cost effective and appropriate ways to use computers and moderns.
2. Web Learning As the Internet technology is introduced it makes a new revolution in information technology. The wide use of Internet also affected the methods of education. It is a global network and gives the concept of global classroom where any number of students can interact with each other at any time.
3. Delivery System Well, in most of the business schools knowledge and information are delivered with teaching aids like slide projector, overhead projector and LCD projector. However, in distance mode of learning various other tools like audio-visual tapes, broadcast on radio and telecast through T.V. With access to internet, the learners have a reach to an unrestricted pool of knowledge. In this manner, internet communication is a very useful medium of imparting knowledge. Computer play a useful role in creating learning material. Through multimedia symbiotic advantage may be gathered by integration of various types of information such as clip art, animation graphics, music, voice and live interaction that makes the delivery effective. Multimedia computer can be used for training on management education in a one-to-one situation with the student. Multimedia system is treated to be more learner friendly as compared to T.V.
4. Networking & Library The impact of IT on libraries is showing wonderful results. The libraries of future will be called electronic libraries. Instead of books, these will have optical disks which could be used at home or anywhere through a small portable electronic reader. Computer applications to library and information field increase the efficiency of the day to day library work. An electronic computer network connecting millions of computers all over the world is the Internet. Today most of the university department libraries usually access to online information service and have CD ROMs and have used them on networks with wider access. Many applications can be administered on the business educational Intranet such as sharing of library resources, projects and research work, faculty interaction and collaboration, student placement information and video conferencing.
5. Distant Education We are passing through the age of information technology. The new technology likewise other areas have helped in improving distance education for management program everywhere. With advanced communication technology, teaching learning process has become faster, non-conventional and interesting. Distance education acts as a social catalyst in developing countries and supports the objectivist model of knowledge transmission.
a. Use of technical media. b. Mass education of student. c. Industrialization of teaching process.
6. E-Learning IT can be used as a mass literary in various forms and education delivery system for millions of children living in far. The Internet can provide access to an unlimited storehouse of knowledge on any subject and IT is just an enabling technology for everyone. Another aspect to the IT driven and Net learning technology was school Net. School Net has trained over 2000 teachers across the country and in the process of expanding their network. Karnataka was the first state in India to announce its IT policy.
Problems while implementing IT
1. Training to teachers Training should be given in order to create a learning environment that will itself train and encourage students to turn the learning experience into useful, practical and personal knowledge.
2. Workshops In backward areas parents are not much knowing about WBL. So the demonstration,seminars & workshops should be conducted for society in order to understand the importance of it in most easy ways
3. Effect on teachers WBL will lead to reduction in manpower as per as teachers are concerned. This will lead to agitations by teacher’s organization. This problem is also faced by students when teachers are suffered.
4. Effect on students On the other hand, the students will be benefited by WBL there will some section of students opposing this introduction of technology in education.
5. Power of accessibility Every school and college don’t have equal opportunity to gain this information because of access issues. The schools with fewer budgets will always face this problem. And, in this manner this problem is mostly face in India because there is big gap between poor & rich communities in India.
In developing societies like India the problem is not poverty, low production, low level of per capita income or GNP. The real problem is that we are not adequately and professionally managed. Most of our industrial and service sector units are either under managed or unmanaged. Therefore, We all need to well organized all the institutions in our country. This requires a large number of professionally qualified managers and expert professionals.
It has to be taken care of with the liberalization, privatization and globalization (LPG) of our economy, which usually shows that we are in the transformation process from being a technically backward country. This transition phase has thrown up many challenges and opportunities which need to b exploited and managed to restructure the education system in general and management education in specific for the bright future of the students. The strengths of IT advancements can be utilized for re-framing and re-shaping the management education during this process.